An overview of the CNU Colorado Charter Awards 2020
Submission deadline is Monday, October 12, 2020.
The Congress for the New Urbanism (CNU) is a non-profit organization that promotes walkable, mixed-use neighborhood development, sustainable communities, and healthier living conditions. We believe that cities should be designed for people, should respect human scale, and encourage human interaction. The CNU Colorado Charter Awards honor projects that are designed in this spirit and make Colorado a more livable place.
A jury of distinguished designers, architects, planners, and engineers from Colorado and beyond will review the entries and select the winners. Winning projects are recognized for their excellence in fulfilling and advancing the principles of the Charter of the New Urbanism in a Colorado-specific context.
Submitting for an Award
We welcome award submissions from owners, architects, tenants, neighbors and others for buildings, developments, plans, educational programs or other efforts that promote great urbanism in Colorado …including older projects that have proven to be great additions to the urban fabric. To submit for an award, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the following:
- Contact & Project Info (in the body of the email or in a separate attachment)
- Award Submittal Contact Information
- Your name
- How can we get in touch with you?
- Relationship to project submitted for award (did you design/build the project or draft a plan …or are you just a fan? – Note that awards will be given to the projects themselves)
- Who else was involved in the project?
- Project Information
- Project name (i.e., ‘Ivy St. Mixed-use’, ‘Locust St. Corridor Plan’, etc.)
- Type of project (i.e., built development, unbuilt development, adaptive reuse, plan, tactical urbanism even, student project, educational effort, etc.)
- Rights Waiver
- Please include a statement that you agree that all submitted materials, including digital images, will be retained by CNU Colorado and used as examples in publications (online or printed), programs or exhibits.
- Award Submittal Contact Information
- What Makes The Project a Great New Urbanist Effort in Colorado? (as a separate PDF attachment that we will provide to the awards jury – note that DropBox or other links can be used to email large files)
- Summarize key project features (bullet point list of key project attributes)
- Include an overview photo or graphic (a photo or graphic that best exemplifies the project – Please also submit the overview photo or graphic as as separate JPEG file)
- Describes in which ways the project fulfills or advances the principles listed in Charter of the New Urbanism
- Describe the lessons learned throughout the project
- Describe how the project specifically promotes New Urbanism in Colorado
- Include additional photos or graphics that support consideration of the project as an outstanding New Urbanist effort in Colorado
- Additional Text (in the body of the submission email, or as a separate editable attachment like MS Word or similar that we will use to promote the project)
- A paragraph or two of text (can include text used in the PDF attachment above)
- Additional Visuals (as separate JPEG attachments that we will use to promote the project – Note that Dropbox or other links can be used to email large files)
- A photo or graphic that best exemplifies the project (the same overview photo as used in your PDF submission.
- One or more additional photos or graphics that support consideration of the project as an outstanding New Urbanist effort in Colorado
- October 12, 2020, 11:59PM – Submission Period Closes (Deadline!)
- October 23, 2020, 9:00-12:00PM – Jury Convenes
- November 5, 2020 – Winners Announced
- November 12, 2020, 11:00AM-1:00PM – Virtual Awards Ceremony
Recognition of Entries and Winners:
- The Winners will be presented with a certificate and be recognized at the virtual awards ceremony on Thursday, November 12th.
- All entries will be displayed on the CNU-Colorado website and on social media
- All entries will be recognized in a CNU- Colorado PDF publication
- All entries will be recognized at the CNU-Colorado Awards Ceremony
- Entries must meet the deadline (October 12, 2020 11:59PM) and format requirements
- Entries are open to individuals or groups with a Colorado connection (residence or office location)
- Eligible professional projects must be located in Colorado.
- Eligible student projects must be designed at a school based in Colorado
- Multiple entries in a given year are allowed; fees apply to each entry
- Anyone involved in the execution of a project are eligible to enter the awards program. However, the entrant must get approval from the project’s principal designer and/or owner and the entrant must identify the extent of their involvement with a given project and list all entities that participated
- Neither jury members nor their employees are allowed to submit entries; however, academic entries in which work was completed in a course taught or advised by a jury member are permitted, with such juror recusing him/herself from judging the entry
- Participants are responsible for checking their eligibility; projects and participants that do not meet the above mentioned criteria will be disqualified
The jury is comprised of distinguished CNU members from Colorado and beyond. The jury is multidisciplinary and includes architects, planners, urban designers, developers and editors.
- All entries will be vetted for eligibility and entry format requirements.
- Qualifying entries shall be advanced to the jury.
- All decisions of the jury are final.
All submitted materials, including digital images, will be retained by CNU Colorado. CNU Colorado will use the entries as exemplars in publications (online or printed), programs or exhibits. The Entry Form includes a waiver granting CNU Colorado rights to the material. CNU will retain all digital images for its permanent collection.
Submitting an Entry:
All entries must be submitted within the submission period and meet the format requirements.
Electronic files with appropriate link (Dropbox (preferred), OneDrive, FTP, etc.) shall be emailed to: email@example.com
$25.20 submission fee/ free for student entries
NOTE: Do not display any names (individual or firm) anywhere in the award booklet or summary poster.
CNU-Colorado will e-mail you a confirmation after your fee and entry materials have been received.